Saturday, October 27, 2012

On My Own

It's been strange to be living on my own. The adjustment of becoming an interdependent woman in a new city in a foreign country has been easier than I thought. I'm really missing home, but I have found here that I have the opportunity to not be the sinner I was. I miss my family and friends a lot, but I know I have begun to see how blessed I am to have all those I left at home. It is lonely here; most of the people here I can find hard to get along with. Since I'm the only one who actively voices opinions from a traditionally liturgical background, I often find myself in the position of trying to defend my statements to a group of five people trying to prove me wrong. It is very draining for me especially since I have no solid church up here. The church I found although friendly and fairly liturgical, the sermons leave much to be desired.

I am definitely enjoying the academics. It's a challenge in the fact of the amount of thinking and homework that goes into it, but I am finding it refreshing and helpful. I think Philosophy, Trivium (logic, grammar, rhetoric), and Art are my favorite classes. It's nice not being the only person who actually cares about their grades in the class.

Grocery shopping has been an adventure. Trying to buy the cheap, healthy food is like trying to needle in a haystack; it's almost impossible. I'm also trying to cook instead eating apples and bread all the time. So far, I have made some decent chicken, steak, pasta dishes, squash, and baked potatos. It's a start.

The best part of being here is the opportunity of living an active lifestyle. Biking, and soccer have become part of my normal week. It's nice to be able to bike places and I feel fairly happen with the amount of exercise I am getting, though it would be nice to get an hour every day. Somehow I need to work dancing into the weekly schedule. I haven't been able to find a really close ice rink. I biked half an hour to an ice rink this past Thursday. I didn't realize how much power and flexibility I've lost from being off the ice for six months. Thankfully I can still remember all the moves, completed a spin, and landed ten waltz jumps.

I can't wait to get back home for Christmas. Unfortunately, I still have two months, exams, and five major papers, to get through.

1 comment:

  1. ;) Because I just find the disown button too appealing

    ReplyDelete