It seems to me, dear blog, I have been neglecting you. If I said school was the reason your neglect, I would be half lying. Although school has kept me busy and an college application has added to the stress, laziness is the culprit. Writing does not come as easily to me as it does to some and at the end of each day, I do not feel like undergo such a task in order to have a few intelligent minds read some rambling thoughts. But, behold! Here I am! I am back to disturb your quiet rest, o blog!
Tomorrow...er, (glances at the clock) today is Thanksgiving. It seems such a strange holiday to me. I wonder if those on the Mayflower really did celebrate Thanksgiving. To me, it seems a bit of stretch. Ah, well, that's the skeptic in me. I often wonder how the traditions of mash potatoes, turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie came about. It seems like they have always been a part of the holiday, but have they? The history of food must be a fascinating study. Plus you have the traditions of football, TV, and throwing out memories of things you are thankful for. Except if you are in my family. We skip the TV and the football.
Just this past Sunday, my family drove to my aunt and uncle's house to celebrate my dad's extended family's Thanksgiving. After we had all stuffed our faces with good food, my aunt requested that we all think of something, anything, that we were thankful for. I began to reflect on my year, where I was, and where I am now. I am so incredibly thankful for all the doors the Lord has closed in my life this year. It sounds weird when I say it like that. The "closed doors"? Why the closed ones? Why not the open ones? The closed doors are painful; goodbyes are hard. But the goodbyes allow us to move to the next hello. Goodbye help shape us into who we are. Through the closed doors, the Lord reveals what He does want us to do and what path He does want us to follow. I gone through many goodbyes this year: Augustine, relationships, jobs, career plans... Maybe not as many as some of my peers have, but still a lot. Despite the pain and the tears, I'm thankful that the Lord has blessed me with closing many doors.
Happy Thanksgiving!
(Gobble. Gobble. Gobble. I wonder if that is the actual sound of a turkey or just the sound one makes when one eats a turkey?)
(Just something to think about. ;) )
thankful for you, darling.
ReplyDelete