Monday, April 7, 2014

My Blanket Essay


As a little girl, I was terrified of thunderstorms. Many a stormy night, I lay shivering on my bed, frightened and cold, as the thunder crashed outside my window. Torrents of rain pounded like the hooves of horses across the roof above me. The sky lit up. Everything within my small body would freeze, waiting in dreaded stillness for the expected. The earth rumbled and the crash of the thunder filled the air around me. Filled with terror, I pulled my blanket over my head and snuggled deeper into the folds. Its soft warmth comforted me. The thudding hooves overhead were softer and the angry flashes of the storm did not reach me there. I was safe in my fortress. Curling up, I fell asleep. Although my fear of storms and my childhood have passed, my blanket continues on. It is the item I carry with me in my travels which provides me a shelter, comfort, and rest. If I could only take one item from my house, I would take my blanket because it is the place I call home.

The home my blanket creates is the place I fly to in need of shelter. Though only a thin flannel to the eye, it becomes a steel stronghold and fends off the horses of fear. During storms of physical or emotional pain, my blanket offers a wall of protection from the rumblings around me. Days of long travel and strange new faces are repelled from me as I bundle my blanket around. Once inside this shelter, my blanket comforts me. Its heat soothes me, wrapping me in a world of tranquility. Memories of former places, sweet friends, and good times steep into my mind. A smile creeps to my face; my heart, in addition to my body, is warmed. With this comfort, comes rest. When weary from travels and loneliness, I find rest here in my blanket. My blanket bids me to lay aside my troubles and to find relaxation and enjoyment in the simplicity of itself. At the end of a trying day, my blanket surrounds me, granting me the shelter I seek, the comfort I desire, and the rest I sorely need. 

With troubles gone through rest, comfort through memories, and shelter despite hardships, it is no large wonder that this blanket is the one item I would take from my house to be with me. Whether at a residence or on the road, I take my blanket with me wherever I roam. It travels with me on my adventures, collecting new memories while continually providing peace with the old. Whether strange or familiar trials arrive, my blanket fends them off and brings tranquility. It offers me a harbor, a place of safety from a raging storm. It calms me both bodily and mentally midst rolling thunder. Despite even the rainiest of days, my blanket gives me repose. No matter where I am in the world, my blanket brings shelter, comfort, and rest. For me, my blanket makes any house into a home.

1 comment: