Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Faith of a Child

I was watching the assistant Pastor's little boy for service today. I knelt for corporate confession and absolution. He kneels, his head about half a foot from the top of the pew in front of us, and deliberating folds his chubby hands together. Then, glancing at my folded hands, he moves his right thumb over his left thumb. I was surprised he would notice something as tiny as that.
I was holding him when confessing the Nicene Creed with the rest of the congregation. When I bowed my head, he immediately bowed his head too.
We were kneeling together for the Institution, and he starts saying the Words of Institution along with Pastor. As we sat back down from the Agnus Dei, he turns to me and whispers in my ear: "That is Jesus' body and blood."

A similar experience happen to me a year ago with a little girl. I was sitting with her during church and we were singing "Oh Love How Deep, How Broad, How High". I turned and asked her if she knew what the hymn was talking about. She shakes her head and I explained to her about Christ's birth, baptism, crucifixion, and resurrection. She turns and looks me straight in the eyes and says "Christ got tons of ouchies for me!?! That's why He gave us His body and blood!".

Some people say children won't understand what Christ did for them. I would argue that little children are some of the most confessional Lutheran out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment