Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Need for Sketchbooks

Mom and I went shopping today. For once I was able to locate a pair of good tennis shoes and a pair of flats in less than 10 minutes. I began the search for a sketchbook for I had completely filled my current sketchpad a month ago. The signs at Walmart were poorly marked so I spent a good time wandering. I couldn't believe the girls clothing fashions. Low cut shirts, skimpy jeans, tight dresses, all made from super thin material. The clothing was cheaply made (granted, I was in Walmart) and overpriced. I walked through the "Young Girls" (meaning about ages 2-10) section and was shocked by a t-shirt that read "Things I love: Friends, Texting, Boys, Dance!" Seriously? By my wanderings, I ended up in the jewelry section. Cheap in every way, gaudy, and plastic. Finally on locating the school and home office supplies area, I scanned the shelves for a sketchbook. On coming to a shelf labeled "Children's Coloring", there lay a sketchbook (which I later discovered was the only sketchbook in the entire store). I picked it up and leafed though the pages. The pages were thin. Thinner than your normal copy paper. I was disappointed.

Through my musings in the store, I had noticed several things besides just the quality (or lack of it) of the clothing and jewelry. The food section had grown much larger. There was candy piled everywhere. The electronic area had also grown, taking up about a fourth of the store. The home, office, and school area had shrunk to two isles. Beauty and cosmetics had increased in size. Crafts and hand on items had nearly vanished. This seems to represent America's cultural teenager fashion: overly gaudy in clothing, jewelry and makeup, too occupied and dependent on electronics, eating anything at anytime, losing ability to be good students and learn hands on skills.

...And this is why everyone should own a sketchbook.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...
    I was looking for something in the sports isles and seems like that has gotten smaller... It's kind of depressing.

    ReplyDelete