It's been a while since I've posted. I know, it's my fault. I guess I just don't want to keep posting nonsense. There's so much running through this little brain of mine, I guess this blog is the place where I'm going to try and sort through some of it.
I am betting some of you will glace through this blogpost and just close the tab before you even have a clue of what I'm thinking. That's fine. I do it too. Honestly, how many people still sit down and read anything now adays? A sad few - or so it seems to me.
Why would a Christian ever want to study philosophy? I scoffed. It's just a bunch of old Greek guys who do nothing but talk. I don't understand them. I don't want to. Why bother, I told myself. Myself smiled and said, But isn't philosophy this: the love of wisdom? And what is wisdom? I asked. It is the fear of the Lord, myself answered. So if philosophy is wisdom, and wisdom is the fear of the Lord, would it not better a Christian by studying philosophy? But it's just a bunch of Greeks! I complained. Myself laughed.
"Know thyself" was the description on the Temple of Delphi. Socrates took this saying to the depths of his mind and soul. He believed that nothing was more important than self knowledge. But, surly, I know how I am, I said. Who are you? asked Myself. I'm me! I'm Annalise Harrison! said I. Myself asked again, But WHO are you? You are a human being with a soul. (And if you're still actually reading this are bored to death). To know thyself in the most basic sense means to know what a human being is. To know who you are means to know who you are and who you are not. To know who you are means to place yourself below God and to realize you are created by Him and apart from Him we can do nothing.
I guess you all are tired. I am sure there are more ramblings on philosophia to come.
I think that the knowledge that everyone needs most, and has least, is perspective. Everything stems from there. We ask, 'who am I?' perspective says, 'ah, but first, who is God?' And we respond, 'Ooh, ooh, I know this one, pick me!'
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the Greeks, they came about as close as any heathens ever have to understanding true wisdom... as men can that is....
Agreed. I guess for me it's learning that I don't know so that I can know. I hope you understand my meaning. I've grown to love the Greeks. And you're right, they've come about as close as one can to really understanding true wisdom without specifically knowing of Jesus Christ.
Deletevery good. i think that knowing yourself is a life long pursuit, good for you to see what sort of path you have set before yourself.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless You.
Not having studied philosophy, I will go ahead and pronounce this "deep." You may now wear a black turtleneck and spout gnomic phrases as if you know exactly what you mean and expect others to figure it out. Traditionally, I thing smoking and drinking might go along with this, but my research is inconclusive so we'll say sugar is close enough.
ReplyDeleteThis didn't bore me, but it made me miss you all over again (and you can see how behind I am on my blogs).
Guess I better go shopping for a black turtleneck. ;)
Delete