Monday, August 27, 2012

Vacation: Six Days In Hillbilly Country

Well, my sister's gone.

Monday: Tons of sitting in the car and sleeping. After 11 1/2 hours, we finally got to her apartment and unloaded. We were all delighted with the size and openness of it. She actually danced for joy when she saw the kitchen and all the counter space she'd have. She'll be living with a former classmate from Augustine and very good friend.

Tuesday: We finished moving Elle in and then spent the rest of the day with Elle's roommate's family. One of their kids is going to Augustine this fall, so I met one of my future classmate. For the one of few times in my life, I had the predicament of being the odd person out. Elle and her roommate talked the whole time, and I didn't want to spend time hanging out with the boys. I ended up sitting on Dad's lap listening to the parents talk which proved very interesting.

Wednesday: Nothing really worth mentioning, other than setting up tents at a camp site, climbed an awesome tree, went hiking on the AT (Appalachian Trail) with my great-aunt Pat, and came face to face with a not-quite-yard-length rattlesnake.

Thursday: Awesome day full of class 3 and 4 white water rafting. Lovely scenery.

Friday: Rode in the back of a pick-up truck up two mountains and down one to get to where we wanted on the AT. Then hiked 4 miles to what is called "Big Bald". The hike was mostly uphill and toward the end, I thought I might fall over. My parents, Luke, and Elle took many breaks to get themselves through it. Matt and I didn't take many breaks because if we knew if we stopped, we might loose all the energy we had. When we finally made it to the top, we both threw ourselves on the ground to catch our breath.
I've never in all my years seen anything more beautiful than the view at the top. You are about 5500 feet above sea level, one of the taller mountains of the range. Everywhere you look, you see mountains and beyond, more mountains. The view was worth every bit of the climb.
We broke for lunch there and then hiked 7 more miles out to where my dad's cousin picked us up and drove us back.

Saturday: Goodbyes to Elle and a 12 hour drive home. I drove the last leg of the journey, and was very glad to see that a certain sand stone house still stood on the hill I call home. My bed was even more welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment