Monday, November 7, 2011

Super Hero Parents

Car ride discussions to and from church are always interesting. With an hour to kill, my family manages to solve the worlds problems, laugh at old memories, and discuss theology. Traveling back from Vespers and Bible class this evening, we somehow got on the topic of the ridiculous things we use to do and think as kids (not that we still aren't kids).

One of the ideas I had a kid was that my mom and dad were invincible super heros. I didn't think of it like that, but that was the basic idea I held. Mom and dad couldn't get sick, they couldn't be hurt, they were just mom and dad. If they were angry, I must be the problem. They couldn't be angry at anyone or anything else. They could never be wrong, what they said was absolute truth.

Talking about this idea aloud in the car, dear Luke pipped up and said "Well, that thinking was right in a way. Mom and Dad stand in the authority of God."

It caused me to think. My parents are in authority over me. They have been placed here by God to guide me, correct me, and teach me. They have provided for me, and even if I disagree with them, I still should and will hold them in honor, love and cherish them.

Yes, they are fallen, but so are we all. I thank God for all the good and faithful parents (including my own) that He has given.

No comments:

Post a Comment